RIPE Atlas network coverage

Hello!

We’ve developed a visualisation showing the coverage of RIPE Atlas among end-user networks (here’s how it looks like in the RIPE region). Each ring is a country, and each segment of the ring represents a network - the larger the segment, the larger the network is in terms of internet users (data from APNIC). Dark segments indicate networks already covered by Atlas probes, light segments networks that are not (yet).

We hope that by interacting with this visualisation, users will get a quick view of which end-user networks are most in need of probes. Keep in mind this is just one dimension to keep track of when advocating for better representation of the Internet. Can you spot a gap where you could help, by either hosting a probe yourself or encouraging someone to do so? Apply here for an Atlas probe.

I’m really interested in knowing what you think about the visualisation, and encourage you to use the interactive version we have in our space in Observable (where you can perform customisations and see a lot more of information about the different networks). Please give it a try and let us know through the comments in this thread what’s your thoughts on it.

8 Likes

I like that I can select several options, I leave a capture of the options that I select.
At the moment I can’t find how to show the ASN names that are yet to be covered.

1 Like

Hey, thanks for trying out the tool! By default the visualisation aggregates under the thinner arc all the ASNs that individually cover less than 1% of the country’s population. However, if you go to Advanced control panel > Show ASNs above the following percentage you’ll be able to select a lower threshold, for example 0% (thus showing all ASNs).

If you want a detailed, tabular view on the same data, this is a great resource:

https://sg-pub.ripe.net/petros/population_coverage/country.html?name=ES

Hope this helps!

Hi Agustin, thanks for sharing the tool! I have made the change as you suggest, I leave capture.
The tabular option is very good, it is just what I was looking for.
I see that there are a large number of ASNs that are a small percentage, I share the capture.
Would it be interesting to be able to carry out one or more activities so that all these ASNs have probes and have 100% ASNs with Ripe Atlas probes in Spain?
At the moment I am not clear if this is relevant or not.
Thank you again, Agustin, for the tool and the suggestions.

Greetings!

Indeed, coverage for Spain is really good, however there’s a set of small networks which are not covered. The goal of this visualisation was to highlight the large and uncovered networks (and give us an idea of the most impactful engagements we could perform).

However, population coverage is not the full picture and it’s just one dimension to keep track of. Small networks in terms of end-users might still have interesting properties: might be on interesting places topologically speaking, some networks might not serve users directly (thus reporting little or zero users), or simply the population estimates might be under-reporting.

Cheers

True, Spain has very good coverage with probes; yes, I understand that this type of tool is intended to be more graphic, to show data from these large networks, it’s excellent.

Don’t think it’s that many small networks, that’s good to know. How good to be able to know about these topics, since it is not frequent to have related information.
I don’t know if something similar has happened in other countries, having many small networks without probes and if there was a similar case, how could these networks have probes?

Thanks Agustin for sharing such interesting information with the community!

Greetings!

1 Like