Atlas probe v5 suddenly died

Greetings all,

I’ve been running an atlas probe v5, probe ID 60397 (RIPE Atlas - RIPE Network Coordination Centre) for a number of years.

Yesterday the probe disconnected and i have not been able to get it back online. I have tried rebooting the probe, replacing the USB power adapter and micro USB cable. The device will power up, get blinky lights on the network port and a flashing RED led on the “front” of the probe.

it also does appear to still obtain a DHCP ipv4 address on my LAN, which i am able to ping (192.168.1.X/24 LAN network).

there have been no other network changes. I run the probe behind a PFSENSE box on my network – there were no changes to my IPv4/IPv6 configuration, NAT settings or ISP connectivity.

Please let me know if there is any other troubleshooting that I can perform or if the probe needs to be replaced. As i write this post, I have the probe powered off (I’m going to leave it powered off for ~10 minutes) then i will power it back up.

if these V5 hardware probes are no longer recommended to use, I will switch to a software driven probe on one of my linux servers.

thanks!

-ryan

1 Like

Hi, I’m sorry, it looks like the error is on the infrastructure side; please stand by, we’ll look into this shortly!

no worries, i appreciate the prompt response. please let me know if there is anything i need to do on my end.

thanks,

-ryan

Hi Ryan,

Your probe was (un)lucky enough to be randomly chosen to connect to a new controller, which had a compatibility issue. It has now connected to another endpoint and should behave as normal.

In general we try to test new infrastructure using test probes, but sometimes there are issues that only appear in the “real world”. Apologies for the downtime!

Cheers,
Chris

Hello Chris,

no worries at all – glad we were able to figure out what happened!

just let me know if you’d like to use my probe for any more testing, i’m happy to help in anyway.

thanks,
-ryan

I am experiencing a similar issue with my RIPE Atlas probe (Probe ID: 65180). My ISP went down around 1 AM on 11 July and service was restored at 11 AM the same day. Since then, the probe has remained in a disconnected state.

I have another probe in the same network that is functioning normally, so I have ruled out internal network issues. The affected probe is receiving power, and the Ethernet lights are active (green constant, amber blinking). The SOS history reflects each instance I disconnect and reconnect the probe. Additionally, the probe has been tagged with “Firewall problem suspected” and “Trying to connect.”

The probe is a version 5 model.

After an DSL reconnect my probe is also not able to connect. Still marked as offline. I tried IP reconnects, DSL reconnects, disconnected the probe for 1h…

V4 nanopi-neo-plus2 from 2019

Same here (v5 [probe, 61817). After a disconnect for a few minutes on the network side the probe is no longer connecting.

I see v4 and v6 communications with reg02.atlas.ripe.net and atlas-ui.ripe.net, but no connections to an actual controller and the status is red for the past ~2 hours. Other machines work fine for both v4 and v6 traffic.

@camin
Yeah something is not right on the RIPE Atlas infrastructure it seems, 5 days in a row I’ve now problems keeping the probe (v4, 50918) staying online, it’s online for ~10 minutes then marked as offline.
Connection traffic in/out is still visible on the probes page.
The problems started 2024-07-10

The status page says “likely firewall issues” but I see successful connections with ssh traffic to the registration servers. I can manually connect to the recent controllers the probe was connected to, so firewall should really not be the issue.
Probe is now offline for the past 20h with no change I know of in the network here.

Installed a software probe (1008577) as that is easier to debug. Came online without any issues from the same network. So this must be something wrong with the hardware probe.

1 Like

Yeah, seeing the exact same behavior here (SOS history updates, probe functions are executed, but no connection to controller). Also with another probe in the same network working.

My probe is back online now. I haven’t done anything.

1 Like

Reporting for the dev team: we are making changes to the infrastructure that deals with probes, and in some cases this can cause (temporary) connection issues. Many of the probes reported here were caught in that situation. We apologise for these inconveniences.

2 Likes