Atlas probe v5 suddenly died

Greetings all,

I’ve been running an atlas probe v5, probe ID 60397 (RIPE Atlas - RIPE Network Coordination Centre) for a number of years.

Yesterday the probe disconnected and i have not been able to get it back online. I have tried rebooting the probe, replacing the USB power adapter and micro USB cable. The device will power up, get blinky lights on the network port and a flashing RED led on the “front” of the probe.

it also does appear to still obtain a DHCP ipv4 address on my LAN, which i am able to ping (192.168.1.X/24 LAN network).

there have been no other network changes. I run the probe behind a PFSENSE box on my network – there were no changes to my IPv4/IPv6 configuration, NAT settings or ISP connectivity.

Please let me know if there is any other troubleshooting that I can perform or if the probe needs to be replaced. As i write this post, I have the probe powered off (I’m going to leave it powered off for ~10 minutes) then i will power it back up.

if these V5 hardware probes are no longer recommended to use, I will switch to a software driven probe on one of my linux servers.

thanks!

-ryan

Hi, I’m sorry, it looks like the error is on the infrastructure side; please stand by, we’ll look into this shortly!

no worries, i appreciate the prompt response. please let me know if there is anything i need to do on my end.

thanks,

-ryan

Hi Ryan,

Your probe was (un)lucky enough to be randomly chosen to connect to a new controller, which had a compatibility issue. It has now connected to another endpoint and should behave as normal.

In general we try to test new infrastructure using test probes, but sometimes there are issues that only appear in the “real world”. Apologies for the downtime!

Cheers,
Chris

Hello Chris,

no worries at all – glad we were able to figure out what happened!

just let me know if you’d like to use my probe for any more testing, i’m happy to help in anyway.

thanks,
-ryan