Are you on Mastodon?

Yes I’m @wget@framapiaf.org. Happy to read you there everyone :slight_smile: And merry Christmas/Happy New Year 2023 :muscle: May the new year bring me my IPv6 security and BGP certifications :muscle:

4 Likes

I moved from Twitter to Mastodon, not updating twitter, not browsing twitter …

I have used Twitter for fun and work for many many years, following projects, organisations, people in the industry, friends, making networks both professionally and privately.

I have tried multiple times to move over to Mastodon, but there was not enough traffic and activity, so kept using TW. This changed end of 2022.

The large migration that has taken place has resulted in me having close to the same experience on Mastodon now. So now I am Henrik Kramselund - kramse (@kramse@social.kramse.org) - Mastodon on my own instance, hosted by masto . host which is not taking new customers currently.

I work with network and security, so infosec . exchange and hachyderm . io
are great places to start Kris Nóva :ferris: (@nova@hachyderm.io) - Hachyderm.io . Since they also grow at a rapid pace they describe a lot about their setups and problems observed.

I now that a few orgs already created profiles, since I follow them: @ nlnetlabs @ fosstodon . org
@ mitreattack @ infosec . exchange OWASP SANS

Large EU institutions and governments are coming too:
@ Bundespresseamt @ social . bund . de and @ EU_Commission @ social . network . europa . eu - whole domains with many accounts on both

4 Likes

Related to this discussion is this from Mozilla: Mozilla to explore healthy social media alternative

Running an NCC-supported instance would introduce new maintenance chores for the NCC, but it comes with the advantage of having control over a) which other groups have accounts on the instance, and b) having control over moderation, for which the RIPE code-of-conduct already exists.

I suspect gate-keeping account registration on an NCC-supported instance could be pretty lightweight. I doubt it should be open to anybody with an RIPE NCC Access account but it could be open to accounts representing NOGs, or other supporting groups such as open source projects, or non-profit organisations who hold Internet resources.

3 Likes

Thanks for the nice article!

But it did make me LoL – the fact that there is no mention of Mozilla’s actual accounts / servers…
… and the fact that they do not use logos of any of the fediverse services on their “follow” / “share” pages!

So I looked them up, and here are some buttons / logs / icons for ourselves!

Share & Enjoy!

Vesna (@becha@v.st )

1 Like

Hi everyone. Great to see all this input. You can find me at mir@social.secret-wg.org

2 Likes

I´m on a small Instance with friends (social.okoyono.de/@mezzo) - I like the idea of a decentralized social network.

1 Like

Not directly mastodon, but it’s useful to note that discourse is adding activitypub support: https://meta.discourse.org/t/federation-support-for-discourse/90921/101

4 Likes

An update on mozilla, too: Mozilla Social Private Beta Launch

2 Likes

At the upcoming RIPE87, there will be a presentation at the Community Plenary:

Mastodon or Mastodon’t? by Fergal Cunningham, RIPE NCC

Thursday, 30 November 16:00 - 17:30 (UTC+1)

https://ripe87.ripe.net/programme/meeting-plan/ripe-community-plenary/

Please join!

1 Like

I love the title of the talk :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks Qasim. Although it is kind of a spoiler for my last slide :wink:

1 Like

I’m on mastodon as natural20@mastodon.ie and I’m a big fan. As I’ve just said in the Community Plenary I absolutely want the NCC and the Community to move away from Twitter.

I do think that a server for the NCC and possibly staff and some small number of others would be a better idea than a community server as there are many other options for individual users.

3 Likes

I wanted to just follow up some of the remarks I made in the room in Rome today. I think a RIPE.net Mastodon instance/setup should be treated like a RIPE.net email address (so only staff).

I am deeply concerned about regulation like the Digital Services Act and the impact that would have here. I support RIPE having a presence, but not opening it up for a free-for-all.

2 Likes

Here are many links to positive experiences with Mastodon & Fediverse / Activity Pub:

Agree generally that opening an instance to the general community, and the moderation related to that, is a can of worms. But an NCC-managed instance could be more expansive than NCC staff: various community roles (chair, PC, WGs, etc) could have accounts on a ripe.net instance.